The LA Civics Initiative
Wednesday, March 23 at 8:30am to 12:00pm
When you think about civics … what comes to mind?Voting? Checks and balances?
Locally, civics is so much more than that! Usually, the conversation doesn’t go far enough for deep understanding of our civic life in Los Angeles.
Join us for our kickoff workshop featuring a panel of civics experts as we look at the gaps in civic engagement vis-à-vis civic education and how we got here. The panel features educators, elected officials, activists, and academics in a lively conversation about the state of civics in our communities across the Southland.
Attendees will launch from the panel to a workshop designed to engage and develop ways to address the barriers to civics. You are invited to roll-up your sleeves and help launch this initiative that will last for the next year and help define civics for Los Angels. We will work toward a more civically engaged Los Angeles, together.
- John Bwarie (Moderator) – City Impact Lab
- Raphael Bostic – USC Price School of Public Policy
- Ardy Kassakhian, City Clerk for Glendale, CA
- Nate Kaplan, See Political
- Raquel Beltran, Associate Director, Pat Brown Institute for Public Affairs
- Steve Zimmer, LAUSD School Board Member
And if you are interested in learning more about how Los Angeles works – City Impact Lab gave a free webinar on Monday, March 21st entitled “Government 101: How Los Angeles Works.”